Dine Out for No Kid Hungry kicks off in a couple of days as part of Share our Strength’s mission to end childhood hunger in the U.S. Last year, the annual campaign finished with a record number of more than 8,200 participating restaurants — raising $5.9 million overall.
Creativity and commitment drove last year’s record-setting campaign. For example:
• New York’s Bellizzi Restaurant raised more than $3,200 in one week after participating in Dine Out for No Kid Hungry last year for the first time. The owners donated 10 percent of all sales during one week and rewarded customers with discount coupons equal to their donation. Employees also got involved and donated the equivalent of one hour’s wages to the campaign.
• Marc Murphy of Benchmarc Restaurants was able to triple the amount of money he raised to $1,230 with a successful menu promotion that included donating $1 for every ice cream cone, Ditch’wich dessert, kids meal or signature caramels purchased.
Throughout September, there will be many opportunities for restaurant owners and their patrons to get involved. For restaurants, participating in Dine Out for No Kid Hungry is simple. Here’s how you can get started:
1. Register your restaurant on Share our Strength’s Dine Out for No Kid Hungry website
2. Tap the Share our Strength’s resource center for promotion ideas
3. Plan the details of your promotion and execute throughout September
SCA Tork is also making strides to end childhood hunger as a key sponsor for Share our Strength. SCA’s promotion will launch in early September and creativity will be a key driver, as we will be using our market-leading Xpressnap napkin dispensers to drive awareness of the issues surrounding childhood hunger. Stay tuned for program details.
For more information on how you can get involved in Dine Out for No Kid Hungry, check out the Share our Strength website. Patrons who want to dine out to support the cause can enter their zip code here to find participating restaurants in the area.